Casinos are a place where greed tends to get the better of people. Though most patrons are honest, there is a chance that some gamblers may try their hand at casino cheating rather than use strategy and/or lucky charms like everyone else. At Europaplay we’re proud to be champions of fair gaming, so we highly recommend that you don’t try any of these ten tricks on your next casino trip.
- False Shuffle – A false shuffle occurs when the dealer is bribed to shuffle cards while keeping some in place for the cheater. Though this isn’t a major issue now that members of the Tran Organization have been caught, you should keep an eye out for it just in case.
- Marked Cards – Casino cheats can mark cards for their advantage using simple methods like denting corners with their chips or with high-tech devices such as infrared markers. As the dealer isn’t necessarily involved in this cheating procedure, chances are that you can spot it when it happens if you’re watchful enough.
- Hand Mucking – Hand mucking, or card switching in layman’s terms, is the oldest trick in the book. It’s also one of the easiest since cheaters can be well-versed in handling cards swiftly or have enough money to buy small yet effective holdout devices to hide up their sleeves.
- Past Posting – Another old trick is past posting, a roulette trick where one cheater distracts the dealer while the other puts both of their chips on the winning number. This way, even if one player is disqualified, the second will easily get the money and split it with their accomplice.
- Dice Slide – You probably have used this trick to cheat while playing Monopoly or similar board games. Basically, sliding the dice while playing craps rather than tossing them gives the cheater the chance to manipulate the outcome in their favor. Some cheaters have perfected this technique so well that they can bounce one die to attract attention or spin both to fall on the numbers they need to win.
- Card Counting – You shouldn’t scream “casino cheater!” the minute you see a gambler counting cards. The act is legal since it helps players calculate the value of the cards they have seen in their heads, and thus the ratio of high to low cards left in the deck. However, counting cards can become cheating if the gambler uses a card counting device or similar technology.
- Hole Card Reading – Like card counting, hole card reading can be legal if the gambler somehow notices or uses their own analytical skills to determine the value of the dealer’s hole card. If you notice a fellow player using an illegal casino device like a small mirror or hidden camera, then by all means, scream “cheater” at the top of your lungs.
- Camera in Sleeve – Used mainly at baccarat and blackjack game tables, this trick requires that the cheater hide a camera in their sleeve. Once they cut the deck, they use sleight of hand to show the cards on camera. An accomplice watches the relayed images and transmits the information to the gambler through an earpiece.
- Slots Bill Validator – In the olden days, coin slots were easy to cheat by stringing a coin and using it over and over again. However, with new computerized slot machines, cheaters developed something a little more technical, namely devices that cheated their bill validation units. Most of these devices allow cheaters to use $1 bills while tricking the machine into believing that they’re processing $100 bills. Luckily, most casinos have discovered this technique and took the necessary precautionary measures. Some slot machines out there still haven’t been updated though, which is why gamblers cheating at slots are still at large.
- Roulette Chips Color Up – One gambler will purchase certain colored chips for $1 each and leave the table after slipping a few in their pocket. The second gambler will get hold of these chips, head to the same table and purchase the same colored chips for $25 apiece. After a few rounds, cheater #2 will cash out all the chips they had at the latter rate.
As tempting as they may seem, these casino cheating techniques were only discussed to help you avoid their aftermath. So, stay honest while gambling at all times.